HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer keep smelling me and leaving
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Shot and Strings

Default RE: Deer keep smelling me and leaving

I have a stand that is just perfect. A funnel between two bedding areas about 100 yards in the woods from a soy bean field that the deer feed in. The funnel leads to thick standing hardwoods and ground brush that ultimately lead to the field. The thick hardswoods and brush are in the middle of open, clear woods.It is like a super highway for deer.

Coupleproblems. My only access to this whole piece of woods is through this area which is close to the bedding areas.I jump deer almost everytimeI walk in.However, it is the only way into the woods/stand. So anytimeI want to scout or hunt this piece we walk through this area. The wind swirlsso hunting the wind is difficult. Thetrees are not very condusive to hanging stands or using a climber,so the stand we use is kind of low and not covered very well.

Make a long story short, after a couple weeks of scouting, putting the stand upand the first few days of huntingI basically fouled this spot up. The deer sign went from constant to almost nothing. It took almost3 weeks for the sign to return and thenI started to see deer again. So now I limit myself to hunting thispiece of woodsto two or three times a week and will only hunt that particular stand when the wind is predictable.