HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - thinking about hunting the muzzleloader this year
Old 09-20-2006, 11:27 AM
MLKeith
Typical Buck

Default RE: thinking about hunting the muzzleloader this year

I just checked and Wisconsin does not allow telescopic sights unless they are one power. My personal preferance for a lower price muzzleloader is either an NEF Huntsman or an H&R Sidekick. They are break action which allows more barrel length than a bolt type for the same overall length. There is less concern with bedding, barrel floating and return to zero when disassembled and reassembled than actions that drop into a stock. Even my Omega is sensitive to that. I personally do not like the plastic primer carriers that are similar to what Knight uses (this is just a personal thing) and I converted my Huntsman to the breechplug that takes a .25ACP brass with small rifle primers. The newer lower power 209 primers just released are probably just fine in the carriers. Watch for rifling twist. The slower twist barrels are for patched round ball (like one in 70inches) and the faster are for long bullets in sabots like one in 28inches. There are comprimise rifles at one in 48inches that are supposed to be able to shoot both fairly well. If you are planning on modern bullets in sabots I would go for the faster twist. Some "traditional type" rifle from Thompson Center are usually one in 48 and many claim they shoot modern bullets just fine. You can find them on the used gun racks in some shops fairly reasonable. T/C stands behind their rifles new or used for life. If you buy a used one make sure you get the owners manual and read it completely several times. Once you decide on a rifle then the powder is next to consider as well as support equipment. I am not going to go on and on about that. There have been several posts with all that information and maybe the guys like Cayugad that has posted before can direct you to them. I'm sure you will get more from others. Like in automobiles everyone has a favorite rifle and not all of us will agree on what suits your needs. You just have to sort out all the ideas and see what hits your fancy. On the powder thing, loose powder is cheaper and easier to fine tune a load than the pellets. Pyrodex is the old standby for a substitute black powder. It is quite dirty but reliable. Tripple Seven is probably the more popular "new" substitute. It is more powerful grain for grain than Pyrodex and in most cases a lot cleaner. It does make a bad crud ring in some rifles which can be a problem. American Pioneeer and Goex Pinnacle and Black Mag'3 are additional substitutes that all are very clean and somewhat less corrosive. Some rifle prefer one more than another. Unfortunately the same two model rifles from the same manufacturer will not always shoot the same so this is a try and find situation. The same goes for bullets and sabots. I am presently working with Black Mag'3 which works great in my Omega and Powerbelts shoot OK as well as Hornady sabot bullets. T/C bullets are good also. I am just starting to evaluate Dead Center bullets that have a very good reputation. I shoot heavier bullets as I elk hunt. You will likely use slightly lighter bullets from 300gr. down. Well this is just to get this started. Others will add more.