HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thunder Basin Nat'l Grasslands
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 11:19 PM
wycelticlassie

Default RE: Thunder Basin Nat'l Grasslands

Hi~ I'm from Gillette, WY and my husband and I spend a lot of time in the Thunder Basin Grasslands. We horn hunt major portions of it along with regular hunting. We'll get my mule deer tags for the grasslands area. Although around here, you could just as easily find private land to hunt antelope on. Sometime the landowners wanta couple hundred dollar "tresspassing fee" but usually they have pretty decent bucks.

We have friends that come out from Wisconsin to hunt antelope every year. Last year my husband took them out and the three of them got 5 antelope in one day. I couldn't go cause I was like 9 months pregnant, but not this year! There are so many freakin antelope out here thatyou can find places to hunt pretty easily. If you want to come out next year, we could hook you up with information or take you around.

The grassland are kind of misrepresented by their name...they are FAR from flat and grassy. They actually have some pretty freakin rough territory. Like 60 degree slopes easily. There are WAY more antelope in Campell and Weston Counties than people.

Anyways, there is camping in the grasslands. You don't have to be in a campground to camp, like most of Wyoming public land.Also, I'd definatly look at the northern section of the grasslands for hunting. Another thing...you can also get at least two additional doe fawn antelope tags, so you can take lots back with you!

Let me know if you'd like help looking at hunt areas and finding etc!