HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help? Gut shot 8/10 pt tonite
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2002, 08:21 PM
ruffhunter
Fork Horn

Default Help? Gut shot 8/10 pt tonite

Well I had a large 8/10 point headed towards me real steady. He stopped just out of range to smell my Doc's deer scents. Then came on a steady pace. He started under my stand and I put my pin on his spine, just before and/or at the rump. The shot was only 15 to 17 feet away, maximum. He took off and made a 50 yard circle in the corn field and took off into some high grass and then into a wooded area along a creek. He was jumping high in the grass, but on the circle he was favoring his rear in a slight slouch and almost stopped before crossing a fence. The arrow only went in the ground below me about 3.5 inches. It was covered in blood and 3/4 of one vane was missing. Several good patches of white hair speading from the arrow to 2 feet away. No blood splatter except around the arrow. However I noticed several clumps of what looked like ham salad, mixed with the obvious soft deer crap. There was no blood trail and me and my dad waited an hour before looking but never found him. Well its obvious Missed the spine and possibly hit the sides of one rump. I'm going out tomorrow looking. I hoping he lay down of course and die. Guys? He was still moving good and I had gone 100 yards when I last seen him. Any input/thoughts with similar failed shots for a direct shot above will be greatly appreciated. Thanks..needing vent as Im replaying over in my head!