HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - elk bullet in 06
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 10:35 PM
spd522

Default RE: elk bullet in 06

My 300 Win Mag is loaded with 180 Gr Barnes X that I handload for my 700 BDL.The bullet is proven elk-tough and ata hair under 3000 fps and sub 1 inch groups at 200 yards, I think Ihave all I need.

For a factory load, I like the 180 gr. Winchester Fail Safe. It too is a bone crusher if it needs to be.

I always have a back up rifle when hunting and for me, it's a Winchester M70 in 30.06. Currently it is running with 180 gr Winchester Accubonds since I don't reload for the '06. I haven't had any experience with this setup on elk yet but it knocked the piss out of a big whitetail at over 300 yards last fall.

In my rifle, the Accubonds seem to group better than the former Nosler Partitions I was using. However, I also like the 180 gr Fail Safes in the 30.06 and if I have a less than desirable experience with the Accubonds, it's back to the FS.

My friend uses a 30.06 and has wacked several elk with his pet load of a 168 gr Barnes XLC. That included dropping a 6x5 at 460 yards with one shot.

I love Nosler Ballistic Tips for deer and antelope but I wouldn't trust them for anything bigger. They don't holdtogether reliably enough for the big critters, in my opinion.

As for the cheap Remington Core-lok stuff---- I know some guys who use it and they always have to shoot their elk 2-4 times to drop them. And that is with good shot placement. The bullets work, it's just that there are much better bullets out there. And what if you only get one good shot in??????

Someone else already said it- You spend a lot of money to travel out of state for an elk hunt and then scrimp on spending another $10-$20 for a box of good ammo........
Three things you don'tcut corners on orit will come back to haunt you 1) Optics 2) Footwear 3) Ammo.

Just my $.02

Craig