HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A question for arrow builders.
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Bols

Default A question for arrow builders.

Hey guys, had a quick question.

I just recently bought six Maxima Hunters 250's. I had them cut down at the shop but wanted to do the rest of the work at home.

I squared the arrows with the G5 ASD, cleaned themand used Bohnings Two-Part Epoxy for the aluminum inserts included with the shafts.

I let the arrows sit (granted in my basement) for a few days before I screwed BH's or FT's into the inserts.

My problems are two-fold:

One of the problems I faced was the epoxy clogged up the threads on the inside of the shaft. What do you guys do to alleviate this problem? I still have some inserts I can't thread a head into because of the epoxy buildup.

And secondly, the epoxy did not bond very well. One of the inserts pulled out when I was trying to unscrew a broadhead, the other pulled out when I removed the arrow from my target. It was stuck in the middle until I forced it out with another arrow. I know it said not to use a quick setting two part epoxy. Does anyone else have any information on the Bohning Two-Part Epoxy?

How about any other tips and tricks when using epoxy. Like mix time, amount to apply, etc?

Any other suggestions on the type of epoxy to use?

I want to try and get these arrows ready for season. I don't really trust the bond created by the epoxy and am looking to somehow take the inserts out of the shafts, buy new inserts, buy new epoxy and start over.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Bols