HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mule Deer hunting?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2002, 10:55 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default Mule Deer hunting?

I hope there are a few mule deer hunters out there becouse I have some questions.
I live in West Texas and up till now I have been hunting white tail only. This year, on a new lease, I find myself hunting mule deer.
The lease is almost two sections and has a canyon on the back side of the lease. There are finger draws branching up to the main body of the lease in many different areas. On top the cover is poor, some evergreen, scrub oak, West Texas shade trees and thats about it. There are 3 main water holes with 2 others that have water for now but will be gone in about a month.
There are 4 wheat fields and about 50 head of cattle.
This place is back by its self with little trafic around it.

Now for questions.
1. Do MD make rubs or scrapes like Wt?
2. Would you hunt the fields or over the canyon?
3. There are 5 feeders that are being hit. Lots of tracks. I have placed a game cam on one. Do MD come into a feeder? I watched 12 does walk right past one yesterday, not giving it more than a look. When it went off about 30 min. later it spooked them. We have not seen but a few Wt does so I hope to find out what is coming into the feeder soon.
4. Do Md and Wt go into rut about the same time?
5. When you look at a Md. and are trying to judge age and or rack size what do you look for?
Well the season starts this Sat. and I have two spots picked out. Hope to have lots of answers by then. lol
Thanks
Rick

Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote.