HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Browning BPS shotgun?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 06:31 PM
RiverOtter

Default RE: Browning BPS shotgun?

The price of an O/U is the definite downside of obtaining one. For pretty much any birds out there you can get away with only having a 2 3/4" chamber, and that includes turkeys. That said, there are times that a 3" shell has the extra power and pellets that can save the day. I really don't know of any shotguns available today that don't take a 3" shell other than a Remington 1100. There may be others, but I'm not aware of them. Pretty much all of the pumps take at least a 3" shell, and then you could spend more to geta 3 1/2" chamberl (though I don't feel that it's worth it). Short barrels are good for tight shots in brush, and many of the specialized turkey guns have very short barrels. However, for clays you'd be better off with something longer as it will allow a smoother swing. My pump is a 28", which I feel is a good balance. With skeet you may prefer something even shorter, but for trap something longer would be more suitable. You can get the same pattern out of any of them...and realistically the biggest difference from a 22" to a 28" is that the end of the barrel is a whopping 6" closer to the target. When you're talking in tens of yards, that's pretty insignificant. I haven't hunted turkeys with a 20 gauge as I use my 12 gauge pump for that. Most of the commercial loads and available aftermarket turkey (x-full) chokes out there seem to be more geared towards the 12 gauge, but I'm quite sure that you could do just fine with a 20 gauge once you found a good load and choke for it.