HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Successful First Shots
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 05:59 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Successful First Shots

I read a book by Brian Sorrells, Introduction to traditional archery. I don't agree with some he talks about, but he had a program in there that I believe will get you shooting the best the fastest. Bad part is its tedious and most archers (myself) can't control themselves to stick to it.

Bascially he gets you at 5ft, and says, don't move back until you have at least 500 arrows within a 2" circle, and be able to put them in the 2" circle 9 out of 10 times. And only one arrow, keep the target clean. Then gets you to move back to 10ft, same deal 2" circle at least 500 in the circle. Then opens you up to 20ft and 4" circle same deal. But maybe 3 arrows due to the distance. You do this until you get back to 20 yards (I think) and then in the end, you mix all of the distances up, and keep that up until you can put 9 out of 10 arrows in 4" circle 20 ft and beyond and 2" circle under 10ft. Then he suggest moving on to shootin different positions. And before every practice perform some closed eye shots to concentrate on form.

If a person could restrain himself to follow this program, I bet he would shoot better faster. I myself didn't contain myself and went from 5 yards straight to 25yards. And have been stuck with medocre shooting for over 3 months now.

Now I have pulled something and can't do much for a while.