HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 16- Team "Under Dogs" Official Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Canuck_2
Typical Buck

Default RE: 16- Team Official Thread

Jerry, thanks for fixing the picture - what did I do wrong? Got another one here that probably won't show either.

So here's the scoop:

Early archery season opened Sept 1 and I was in my favorite territory before sunup every morning. I have identified at least 20 different bucks there, including 2 or 3 whoppers. But every time I picked a trail to cover, it seemed most of the traffic was on another 60 to 100 yards away. A few small bucks offered opportunities but they weren't that tempting.

On Tuesday, I watched helplessly as the parade of bucks I described earlier traipsed along a trail I had almost set up on. This was 60-70 yards from my position. So I decided to hit that location exclusively for the final 4 days of archery (firearms starts Sept 10). This morning it came together - almost had a spike in my lap, then 2 4-points moseyed in front of me at 30 yd. The shot passed right through both lungs to the ground beyond and the buck trotted away almost casually for 150 yards before falling over.

He wasn't the biggest of what I had been seeing by any means, but he was today's biggest. Although bow hunting is allowed right through firearms season, I don't really want to be concealing myself during that period. Late archery, after guns is finished, doesn't start until Nov 25 and I am scheduled for shoulder surgery before then. So I thought a bird in the hand would be a good idea. Near as i can get it, he scores 87 7/8.