HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Caliber for son's first deer rifle?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:32 AM
Windwalker7
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Caliber for son's first deer rifle?

Decisions, decisions!

You're in a tough spot. There are many good suggestions on here that just make the decision harder.

I was in your shoes several years ago when my daughter started hunting. She was small framed and weighed 75lbs. I had to get a small rifle that was light and short so she could handle it. I got a Ruger M77 Compact in .243.

I'm not sure how big your son is but they grow quickly at that age.

There are many choices out there. You could get a 30.06 and shoot Remington's Managed Recoil Loads in it if you think he could handle the rifle. By that, I mean the weight and length, so that he can aim properly.

I too, would advise getting good hearing protection when going to the range.

Here is more advise. When my daughter started shooting she would flinch after a few shots even while wearing hearing protection.

I decided to only let her fire a .22 for target practice. But, I would always have her dry firing her .243.At home in the yard, she'd aim at my 3D archery target.

Get a few Snap Caps for your son, in whatever caliber you decide on, and have him dry fire it a lot. Dry firing helps kids greatly in not flinching. I even dry fire myself, as a subsitute for actual practice. I feel it is better than practice. It costs nothing and can be done at home when you have spare time. You are not limited to the amount of shells you have on hand.