HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - broadheads
Thread: broadheads
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2006, 12:29 PM
jaygail7

Default RE: broadheads

First of all let me put this to rest, there is no such thing as a "spent arrow" all arrows or bolts in flight are capable of killing...Due to the heavy weight of the bolt or arrow which does not slow down as rapidly as you might think, I have tried this by shooting thru thru the chrono at 60yards.Remember a 30lb compoundbow with a sharp broadhead will shootcomplety thru a deer. I think it was the battle of Agincourt(spelling could be wrong) where the English longbowmanwere killing at distances of over 300yds with equipment that does not come up to todays standards. I would not recommend taking shots beyond your comfort range which would be softball size groups with no hold-over.As far as expandables I would not use one that was not banded at speeds exceding 310fps, I personally have seen them open in flight, which is not a pretty thing..And the Tekan was famous for that by the way(heard they had "fixed" that,well you trust them,I won't, I like my "deer", don't like running all over the woods looking for them after poor shot placement)I have used 85g Spitfires and not had an animal go more than 40yds(at speeds under 300fps)..I have used Wasp,Gold Tip,Nap(Spitfire),Rockets and have seen my self and customers kill over(with dubious shots,to say the least) 300 animals and have never heard or seen this "magical" deflection thing..The Archery industry is full of "rumors" and garbage mostly to sell junk products and to try to make up for poor shot placement.Easton was famous for that,look what they did to Beman before they bought them out...I shoot 75g Rocket Wolverines with the pathfinder tip(double banded or triple banded depending on speed) have killed over 40 animals with this head and not a single "magical deflection" and have hit them with many a quartering shot. You in time will make up your own mind, just use the products that you have the utmost in confidence in and practice with...