HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Red Dot Scope on Muzzleloader?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 06:26 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Red Dot Scope on Muzzleloader?

I have a Bushnell Trophy RED DOT with the 4 reticules and the eleven brightness settings. While the RED DOT is very good in low light conditions, there are a few things that might turn you off from them. Remember, they are set on a 20-30mm tube. So your vision is limited. When the afternoon sun starts to set, you will notice a couple things, its darker looking through the tube then looking over it. Also because of the dot brightness adjustments, the dot can grow a tail. Almost like a half moon. You learn to ignore the tail. In low light, if your deer for instance is close to you, you can see it and shoot very easy. If that deer for instance is 100 yards, you will hardly be able to even see the deer in the low light sometimes.

Reference the accuracy of the DOT, you can do some very impressive shooting. From 50 yards and under, the ability to place your shot is apparent. Some of the groups from 50 yards in are very impressive. 35 yards and closer and you can not believe how well you can group your shots. When you get out past 50 yards, remember your looking at a 3MOA dot. So you should hit in a 3 inch area. Now the question is where is that dot sitting in the original 3 MOA dot. If your on the outside edge of the bull you have increased the size of the groups. At 100 yards I shoot about a 5 inch group. At 50 yards it will shoot a 3 inch group. Closer then that and you start drilling out a large hole.

If you're shots are all close, like 35 yards and closer, this RED DOT will do an excellent job in low light conditions. I think you can do the same though with a good set of fiber optics. I consider them a 50 yard and closer sighting device at best. Especially when the sun starts to set. This is just my opinion. I have one on a Staghorn and use it. But for short range only.