HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ever wish you could take back the shot?
Old 08-30-2006, 02:48 PM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ever wish you could take back the shot?

I have...a few years ago I was in a stand...Opening morning of muzzloading season...I had blanked with a bow....Now I used to go by one rule...Kill the first legal deer, so I have meat in the freezer...A pretty good 8 point came by, gave me a perfect shot and I dropped him with my flintlock....I started to reload, and another buck comes out of the swamp...a 4 point...no big deal...I stopped reloading and let him pass....Out steps a big buck....one of those you see in your dreams...Big bodied...black swamp water up to his knees...I didn't know how many points...Cause he had one of those non-typical racks with kickers everywhere....Mass everywhere...mahogony colored rack....This was BUBBA...He walks up to the other deer laying there...Looked all around...turned around and then circled under my tree...Stood there for at least 5 minutes at 5 yards from the base of the pine I was in...And I was up there with a unloaded gun!! He was sniffing the air and looking all around...He knew something wasn't right...He finally blew and headed back into the swamp....Splashing water and blowing all the way...I had to wait 30 minutes for my knees to stop shaking!!!

There is a good ending....My nephew who had beat cancer at the age of 14 killed him later in the year...Came out into a cut corn field, looking for does....Son of a gun stepped out at 4:30 in the afternoon....None of us had ever seen that buck on our farm before then...