HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Got another recurve yesterday! Pics added.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:19 AM
BobCo19-65
Giant Nontypical

Default Got another recurve yesterday! Pics added.

Did I need to? Nope.

I bought a used 3 piece Brackenbury Drifter bow. I think the fellow selling it may have been having a tough time selling it, and I took the opportunity.

It's not a bow that seems to be "in" at this time. It is 68" long, the norm these days seems to be in the 58-62" area, the bow shoots 61#'s at 28" when the norm seems to be in the 50-55# area, and the bow will only accept a dacon string, again the norm seems to be a FF string. It also does notthat "designer look" to it.

Anyway, I feel I got the better of the deal price wise.

After speaking to some folks, I believe that the bow may have been one of the last few that Jim Brackenbury ever made. It has his signature on the bow and the riser is made of a laminant. I'm not sure of the limb material because they are covered with brown glass.

Anyway the bow is not a speedster and at my draw, I'm probably shooting it close to 65#'s. It has no stack to it whatsoever and it is sooo smooth. I used the same arrows (2216, 145 grain) that I have the new Chek Mate tuned to, and the Brackenburry shoots them terrific (not as fast as even the Chek Mate at 54#'s at 29"). What it lacks in speed though, it makes up in other areas. It is without doubt the quietest recurve I have ever shot. It is also such a stable bow.

I was most definetely not in the market for another bow, but I listened to the inner voice telling me to buy this one. I still have not told the wife about it though - for now anyway. Maybe she won't notice.