HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Feedback on Nikon Omega Scopes
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 08:02 PM
pipecrew
Fork Horn

Default RE: Feedback on Nikon Omega Scopes

The Omega scope is also designed or tested out of a 28 inch Omega barrel. My Encore has a 26 inch barrel. The new ProHunter muzzlelaoder barrels are 28 inches. I'm not into ballistics too much but I'm guessing the rate of twist in the Omega and Encore are the same. Question is: Would a 2 inch shorter barrel make a big difference is accuracy? I don't know. I know I have been looking at the Omega scopes and think I'll probably get one eventually. You might try emailing Nikon to ask if the shorter barrel would make any difference. Personally, I think it would be minimal if at all.
As far as Nikon scopes go, I have4 and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I have a Buckmasters, 2 Monarchs,which I love and I just picked up a camo Prostaff for acarbine muzzleloader. They are great scopes and are very, very clear. My buddy is a huge Leupold guy. Their scopes are nice but the Monarchs light transmission is a little better than the VXI's. I actually just sold my VXI so I could mount a Monarch on my Browning BAR.
Anyway, if you decide to buy an Omega scope I've seen them about $20-$30 cheaper on eBay so don't pay $250, you can get them cheaper. Let us know how you make out. With 2 young kids running around my house it will probably be next season before I get an Omega scope.

Mike