HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A Tough Decision, But Proud of It.. (a bit long)
Old 11-15-2002, 11:07 AM
Rangeball
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A Tough Decision, But Proud of It.. (a bit long)

Your experience pretty much mirrors mine. I spent 4 solid days from dark to dark in a tree, saw a ton of does being hassled by buttons, spikes and small bucks, over 10 deer per day. Passed on each buck I had an opportunity at, finally the fourth morning resolved to take a doe if I had a chance, as my bow season is pretty much over until January. Two does came in at about 20 yards, I drew on the first as the second was behind some brush and couldn't see me. She was angling uphill, and I grunted to stop her. She didn't, so I grunted louder. She stopped in mid-stride, kind of crouched with one leg up, and glanced my way. I centered the pin right in her arm pit, and just as I let fly, she stepped forward and up, kind of hard to explain. Anyway, the arrow went right where I was aiming, which unfortunately now was just underneath her. I gave her belly hair just under her sternum a close shave, but that was all I got.

I'll be back after them next weekend during our shotgun season, and hopefully the big bucks that are apparently holed up with hot does will be out and about again, then will be hitting the afternoon food plot hunts the first two weeks of January.