HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Keeping Meat Cool
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Elkcrazy8
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Keeping Meat Cool

85-90 is too hot even in the shade for too long, if it is not bagged properly, you will be covered with blow flies in no time. If I were posed with this problem, as I have in the past, The creek was the only other option. I used it. Which is the worse of 2 eveils, loose the meat to the heat, or put it in the water??????

Bacteria in the water will promote growth at a rapid pace IF there is heat invloved, so if the meat does go into the water, pack it out early before it can heat back up. Any other bacteria that is on the meat that does not cause it to spoil, will be killed when cooking properly.

The meat that we take from the stream and ice down before butchering will yeild a higher percentage in the end as the dried silverskin does not have to be trimmed when cutting.

In any case, make sure that you do a clean job of boning. Any stomach matter should be kept off the meat. I like to use different knives for different tasks when cutting up elk, for the fact that my boning knives stay as sterile as I can keep them.

Another tip is to take a poncho with you, if you are not using it for the rain, it is nice to lay next to the animal to keep the meat bags on and to keep the dirt off. Get ready for the yellow jackets, they can come in force. Good luck to you. I leave tomorrow for the first 6 days of elk season!!!!!