HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .416 Barrett
Thread: .416 Barrett
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 12:30 PM
bigbulls
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: .416 Barrett

The .416 Barrett was built as a result of California banning 50 caliber rifles and their ammunition. Ronnie Barrett is huge about the 2nd ammendment and this is his way of getting around the idiotic laws being passed in other states. He has also refused to sell to orservice and 50 caliber rifles to any government agency in California.

Many of you have inquired as to the outcome of the letter I wrote to Police Chief Bratten of the LAPD. Unfortunately, the chief’s position did not change. He continued to use his officers in the same deceptive practices formerly utilized with the city council. These few officers testifying in Sacramento ultimately contributed to the unconstitutional AB50 law being passed. It saddened me to have to tell members of the LAPD SWAT team they would have to send someone for their rifle, because I refused to assist anyone or any organization that is in violation of the United States Constitution. In turn, the department arranged to pick up their un-serviced rifle.

Barrett cannot legally sell any of its products to lawbreakers. Therefore, since California’s passing of AB 50, the state is not in compliance with the US Constitution’s 2nd and 14th Amendments, and we will not sell nor service any of our products to any Government agency of the State of California.

I appreciate all the phone calls and emails from LAPD officers and civilians during that time encouraging and supporting our actions. We shall see if other firearms companies will follow this path. I know many are corporately owned and feel like they are unable to risk the life of their company for the liberties of our nation, but if we lose our Republic, our freedom, what good is any of it? I am in the proud and fortunate position that many of our forefathers were in when they risked all for our liberties.
The .416 Barrettis a necked down and shortened 50 BMG case that currently fires a solid brass, 400 grainbullet at about 3200fps. The model 99 that is is currently chambered in weighs 23 or 25 pounds depending on barrel length chosen. As far as a hunting application goes I think that the recoil of such a firearm light enough to carry around in Africawould be brutal at best unless equiped with a substantial muzzle brake but then there goes your hearing.