HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Advice for Mule Deer hunt in MT
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 06:17 AM
MontanaMuleys84

Default RE: Advice for Mule Deer hunt in MT

First off you picked a great spot for a do it yourself hunt. Having been born and raised in Montana, and hunted the Custer National near Ashland with my father since I was just a little hill romper, its a great place. The Varrying density of the forest offers manny different hunting opportunitys.In the 2005 seasonagood family friend killed atall, heavy horned 190 class Muley right there, a great buck, my father and I have had the good fortune of taking many beautifullbucks... with alot of hard work.
Now the thingyou have to realize, pardon meif I offend,but not knowing where your from.. in the mountain country the deer population is more spread out, so be prepared for long, sometimes steep climbs, miles and miles of country and many hours glassing and ifyou take that bruiser he might bedeep in the back country so be preparedto quarter and packhim out.In lateNovember theres usualy a pretty decent amount of snow acumulated so prepare accordingly, and it can get a littleslick and sloppyso 4 wheel drive is a must and chains are recomended. As far as where to hunt, thats a personal preference. My father and I usualy try to get asfar in the back country as we feel necisary, late in November the rut should be in full swing if not close so we have found situations where the big bucks had moved lower to find hot does,so dont head deep right away, take your time and glass... ya never know and thats the biggest portion ofhunting Mulies... good optics, an absoulute must. I hope I have atleat given you andidea of what to expect. If you have any other questionsfeel free to ask.
Good Luck!