HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - "New" bow setup...
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Davoh
Fork Horn

Default "New" bow setup...

My "new" bow finally arrived Friday, so I spent a few hours trying to get it set up so I could shoot. Here's the specs.

2001 (used) Martin Phantom Magnum
27" (I'm a 30" draw, but it's module adjustable and I'll have order the modules)
its at about 64# (rough estimation and that's what oneshot said when he sold it to me....)
Whiskerbisquit (deluxe but not the quickshot)
Shooting 28" carbon arrows with 2" blazers straight fletched
2 pin Cobra F/O sight w/ rubber tube peep.

First thing I did was put an arrow in it and draw it back with a release given to me from someone here on HNI. Just to check drawlength and what not. Went to let it down... and THWACK!!!.... one hole in the wall and a really dirty look from the wife. Release failed on me, so I got a cheapo caliper release from W... Wallll...... the evil place. Those of you who've read many of my posts probably know how I feel about Walmart, but I honestly cannot afford to buy from a proshop right now. Lesser of two evils... Wa... walll.... .... or not get to bowhunt.... hmmm... not much of a choice there.

I replaced the knock point because the old one was all mangled and off square with the rest. used a bow-square and got the new one on there. Added a release loop, left it about an inch long(way too long???) in hopes of getting it a little more comfortable to shoot untill the mod's come in. The peep was about an inch too low on the string for a comfortable anchor point so I moved it up. Managed to do this without removing the serving string holding it in which later turned out to be not so good. About 50 shots into my first session the serving around the peep broke and it started sliding up the string when I drew back. I thought about retieing it with dental floss untill I can get my hands on some serving string. Cheap short term fix, or asking for trouble???

I hadthe peepset about 5-6" above the nock point. I'm thinking I should move it down and just get used to the anchor point since I had to move the sight up nearly as far as it would go to get POI down to the POA.

All in all with mostly eyeballed tuning the arrows appeared to be flying very straight with no noticeablekicking in any direction. Bow is quiet enough that I couldnt hear the bow over the arrow hitting the cheap bag target at 20 yds. Grouping was really good when I could acheive a solid form, which is surprisingly difficult with a too-short draw. Can't wait to get the draw modules($25.00 + sh, direct from martin)... but that will in turn require new arrows which I can't afford right now. When I was doing my part adequately it was 2-3" at 20 yds. Enough to kill a deer, but still not where I want it. Once I backed up to 10 yds after making sure the new sight would hit the target, my 3rd group all three were touching. I will get it paper tuned soonwhich should make this thing killer accurate.

Overall, even with all the work that still needs to be done, I'm fairly satisfied with the progress. This is going to be an interesting experiment in just how cheaply a guy can get into bowhunting and have a solid, dependable, accurate rig.

For you picture junkies, I'll try to get some pics and post them this week.

The string is going to NEED to be replaced soon, as it's fraying and the serving is looking pretty worn. Add that to the list of things I can't afford right now. Hopefully it'll make it thru one season and I'll replace it next spring.

As for broadheads, I think I'm going to splurge and get some 4 blade stingers. I want to use helical feathers anyways sothey should shoot great.