HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lee
Thread: Lee
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Briman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lee

Lee makes some really innovative stuff. I like their case trimmer system- for about $5 you can have a setup that will trim every case consistantly to the same length, without having to tinker with setting up a $100 hand powered lathe sold by other manufacturers. My only complaint is that it trims a bit too short in some calibers.

-Collet neck sizing die- its cheap, its innovative, and works better than most other neck sizing dies.
--Factory crimp die- another innovative product that puts a consistant crimp on each case neck.
-Lee bullet moulds- not the best, sometimes are undersized, most of the time need a bit of work to get them to cast good bullets, but they only cost 1/4 to 1/3 the price of other moulds- and they come with built in handles that would cost another $25-30 with other manufacturers moulds.
-Lee bullet sizers- simple, easy to use, very cheap- no need to buy an expensive bullet sizing press. The downside is that their isn't enough variety of bullet sizes. I currently do most of my lead bullet sizing with a Lyman 450 sizer, but do all of my standard .30s and .45s with the Lee system.
-Lee Dies- I've never had a problem with them. I use them a lot, and currently have about a 50/50 mix of RCBS and Lee dies. I can't tell the difference in the finished cartidge. The low price that Lee charges for the dies also helps keep RCBS and others honest about their pricing.

-Lee presses- I don't care much for their cheaper presses, but their classic cast and their classic cast turret are really nice presses that are as good as and cost 1/2 as much as their competitors.
-Lee pro powder measure- cheap, effective and sometimes even better than more expensive competitors' wares.