HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk hunting ??
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 03:17 PM
RoyalWapiti

Default RE: Elk hunting ??

I would continue checking your cam, and if no bulls show up, I would stay on the ground and be mobile. We use treestands in AZ over waterholes usually in afternoon/evening hunt time only, but most elkers don't have that luxury, water isn't scarce where they hunt. In mornings we stalk you hear a bugle, great,listen forthe same bull again to gain a sense of his direction and take off, try to get in front of them. He won't be alone, the herd may be spread out a over a hundred yards or more, so watch for the cows out in front of him.

Getting in front of them is tough, they walk fast, most of the time we slide into the herd from the side and hope to pull the herdbull away with bugles and cow calls. The satellite bulls usually end up coming in. But a bull is a bull, unless you have time and desire for a book animal. We followed a herd for two miles out into open flats last fall, trying to get in front of them, no luck. We did sneek in and get within 80 yards of the herd bull as he thrashed a tree, but he wouldn't come to calls. He was too busy chasing the satellite bulls away from his cows. They were the immediate threat to him, not some bull 80 yards from his girls.

I know guys in Colorado who have used treestands successfully. It helps with scent control. The stands were in fencelines and they shot the elk right before they entered private land before crossing the fence.