HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk hunting ??
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 01:27 PM
game4lunch

Default RE: Elk hunting ??

I ditto what Barback is saying. Stay on the ground because come hunting season, those elk may have moved out of the area. You have to stay mobile with elk.
As far as buggle/cow call??? I'll use a bugle early in the day to locate, then cow call to keep them interested, cover my noises, and maybe bring big daddy in. More times than not, big daddy will come in quiet! So keep your eyes peeled 360degrees around you. If I know I'm in elk, I'll take 5 - 6 steps, stop, and use binocs to cover the area all around me. Then repeat. It is amazing how much change can happen in 5 - 6 steps.
Only way I'd go with the tree stand is if I knew the elk were there the day(s) I'm hunting, and that their daily routine brought them by my stand. You using bow or gun? I guess I assumed bow. Would be your luck that elk would be coming through right under your stand, but the big bull would stay about 87 yards away! I personally do not have an 87 yard pin. (lol)
Stay molbile. Stay alert. If you are in elk, put the calls away and focus on shooting.