HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many use Decoys???
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Windwalker7
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many use Decoys???

Here's the story on the buck I got, using the improvised decoy;

My dad knew a guy that had an old house ,set back in, surrounded by woods. The guy did not live in the house. He just mowed the grass in the summer. It was abandoned and in ruff shape.

The yard had everthing in it. Grape arbor, chestnut tree, walnut trees, apple trees, ginseng plants, etc... The previous owner must have been an outdoor kind of guy.

Anyway, there were always deer coming in this yard. They'd come in and eat the fallen apples. Bucks would make scrapes in the yard and all.

My dad and I even shot several does, during the archery season, over the years, right off the back porch.

Well one afternoon, I saw a nice buck cut through the top corner of the yard and continue through the woods. I grunted a few times but he had his mind on chasing does.

The next afternoon I took the McKenzie and set it up about 20yds from the porch. It was raining.

I got on the porch and was waiting for about an hour and a half watching the corner of the yard. Usually you can hear the deer approaching the yard as they walk through the leaves in the woods. Since it was raining< I couldn't hear anything. I was looking around and looked back at the decoy behind me.

There he was. Standing right behind the decoy. His attention was so focused on that decoyI was able to slowly turn around, draw and shoot.