HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shooting from a downward slope
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 02:15 PM
savage221

Default Shooting from a downward slope

I just hung my new ladder stand that I got for Christmas and I need some advice on shooting toward a target on a downward slope. My new stand is on a good size farm (corn and alfalfa). To answer my question picture this: oak forest staring with a 50ft hill, then 20ft plateau, then 30ft downward slope, then 60-80 yard plateau that leads to fence line separating a 150 acre field (alfalfa this year). Stand is on the edge of the first plateau. Most of my shots seem like they will be aiming toward the sloping elevation. Do I need to adjust where I put the crosshairs (up or down) from the kill zone to compensate for the lower target?

If any of this matters, I’m a bird hunter by heart (upland and waterfowl) and not to knowledgeable on rifles. I don’t really get into deer hunting until mid November most years. The area I hunt in upstate NY just went legal for rifles so I hung up the 870 slug gun and bought a Ruger 7mm magnum last summer. So, my deer hunting experience is with open-sight shotguns and deer up close and running half the time. Thanks for any advice.