HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk hunting ??
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 12:09 PM
ELKINMTCWB
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk hunting ??

Nicholal

Two things
1st if this is your 1st year set quiet and learn the elk.If time alowed I would set there many days just checking out what the elk did. Every thing they do.I would bet 10% of the elk hunters know what an elk dose and why.Every one thys to push the hunt not enjoy it.

2nd If the elk are coming to the spot where you will be stand hunting WHY call at all.The elk are coming to the spot allready for food.From my calling ex with ANY game is if you can see them normaly you are to close to call. I know many people have called small bulls/bucks and youg yotes at very close range.But every day you can talk to many many people that called at a huge bull/deer and BOOM he spots you and moves away. Even if he dosnt make you out he knows some thing is not right.

Saying that each time you have to look at the situation and pick to cow call bugle. Most time if people did not call they would have a better chance.Only bad thing is we would not see new calls ever year :} I pack around 11 cow calls and 2 bugles.Worst part is I kill very very few bulls calling them in. But more use the calls to locate and find what way they are moving.

Charles