HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - HUGE HUGE HUGE PA Buck!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2002, 11:14 PM
Corvid Killer

Default RE: HUGE HUGE HUGE PA Buck!!!!!!!

Buck Magnet:
That’s great you got an opportunity to witness something like that. The bucks will start dropping their antlers any day where you are, if some of them haven't already. Pennsylvania definitely has the possibility of growing huge whitetails...when all of the 1.5 year olds don't get pounded in the first week of gun season, and a couple more does are shot. I only wish New York could have gotten Alt to help manage our deer herd. I think that the best thing that NY can do is start giving out doe tags. As is, you already have to apply for them. I applied for 2, both in different management zones (one in 4A and and one in 4G - both about 40 miles west of Albany). I didn't receive any. The areas have 20+ deer per square mile. I would give anything for them to give out more doe tags, even if it meant not shooting any bucks for a few years. The forested lands already have no under story due to the deer eating everything. Giving more doe tags would not only help the deer herd (even though the #'s of deer would be lower), but also it would help ALL other game species, as well as non-game species. There are not the numbers of "under story" songbirds in the area anymore, because there is nothing there for them to eat! Alt's plans WILL work for managing a healthier heard. Trophy deer will only be a byproduct. Although I believe 1:1 ratio is impossible. A 2:1 ratio is more reasonable.
Good luck finding the sheds, and trying to photograph him. If you do get him on film, you'd better post them for all to see.

Cheers,
Rob

Edited by - Corvid Killer on 01/13/2002 00:15:48

Edited by - Corvid Killer on 01/13/2002 00:16:58