HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods???
Old 08-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Tigerfan

Default RE: Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods???

Shoot yeah. About 4 years ago I was bowhunting in a hardwood bottom way back in the woods. All I had was my bow and 3 arrows and a little flash light (basically useless). I try to stay about 20 minutes after good dark before I come down the tree. It was time for me to come down so i let my bow down and started my descend. When I got to the bottom of the tree I grabbed my bow and took a step and heard the God awfullest sound I have ever heard in my life. It ran cold and echoed off the trees in the darkness. Well needless to say it scared the bejeezes out of me. I thought about going back up the tree until someone came to look for me but, no one new exactly where I was and it would be at least 2 hours before someone would get worried. I am a at least 1/4 mile from my truck but I have to go right by a 16 ft box stand so I figured if I could make it to there I would be ok and could wait it out. I got about 5 steps and heard it again, this time it seemed louder and closer and it was coming from the general direction I was headed. I had never heard anything like this in my life, it rang cold everytime I heard it. My heart was pounding and I was in a near panic run by now. I am not sure how long it took me to get to my truck that night but, I can tell you I have never run that fast for that long in my life and I was in the Marines. Well i get to camp and I am telling everyone about my encounter and no one can tell me what it was and I thought I was imatating the sounds pretty good.
The next morning I get up and I am going back to the same tree but, this time I grab my .357 and head out. I get up my tree and just settle in when I hear it again still in the same direction and just as loud as last night. I am trying to figure out what all is in that direction and it finally hits me. About 1.5 maybe even 2 miles away there is a house and they have a Jack ass. Well he was baying and I felt like an idiot. I sat there and just laughed at myself. It is amazing the tricks your mind can play on you when you are in the dark and in the woods with a dim flashlight. The funny thing about is we never did find out what that sound came from back at camp. It just misterously disappeard.