HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods???
Old 08-04-2006, 07:57 PM
mobow

Default RE: Have You Ever Been Scared In The Woods???

My brother and I were quite young at the time. If recollection serves, we were 10. Dad turned us loose on evening to hunt squirrels on our own, and I believe that our first trip to the woods w/out him. So there we were, sitting as still and quiet as we could be, frantically searching for that squirrel that would get us home quickly. We kept hearing something in front of us that sounded like something walking in the leaves. At first, we were excited, hoping a big fat grey squirrel would show his beady little head for our .22. Nothing. But the noise didn't stop, either. Well, by now it's getting dark, and we have somehow managed to convince ourselves that surely there was a black bear just ahead waiting to eat us for dinner.

We hightailed it out of there. We made the 200 yard dash across the field to the house and out of breath exploded through the door. Dad could tell we were shakin over something so we told him a bear was in the woods. As you can imagine, he had quite a chuckle, grabbed his flashlight and offered to help us hunt down that killer 1000 lb Kodiak that surely had migrated from Alaska. We head to the oak we had taken refuge under, and sat quietly. We could still hear it, and dad heard it too. OK, now we're like really flipped out. Dad made us follow as he approached the sound. Folks, it was the damn creek that runs through the woods!!! There's about a 5 foot waterfall and the "bear" we heard was of course the water toppling over the falls. Man, what a riot!!