HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bushnell Sentry 18-36x50 yea or nay?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 03:25 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bushnell Sentry 18-36x50 yea or nay?

bugs my suggestion is take the wifes pick. #1 - a happy wife is a very good thing. #2 I don't think 36x50 really does much over a decent set of bino's. #3 If she gets her pick you maybe be able to justify buying a scope or better binos for the hunt - ones you want/like.

My wife (bless her heart) bought me an Leupold Sequoia 15x45x60 a couple year ago. However I now wish I either upgraded it to 20-60x80 model or opted for a better quality spotter. While it works ok, at distance(1000yards+)at 45x it doesn't give me great detail, especially in the shadows. I use a spotting scope mainly as a scouting tool and can't see toting this one in lieu of a decent set of binos while hunting. Now maybe if I had a upper end piece of glass my thoughts would be much different. Personally I think 18-36x50 offers very little advantage for long range peering and while i have no experience with the model you mention I assume it would be on the lower end of spotting scope scales. I consider mine to be their as well even though it sells for much more than 100 bucks. I do get good use out of the spotter but if it where me for a hunting trip, i'd skip the spotting scope and get good binos instead. Based on all factors, binos IMO are abetter investment for the average hunter as usage is not so defined. The bonus is the wife can view them as a shared good and take them to see her plays, events or vactions. I know my binos have found their way to many events in my wifes hands...again a happy wife is always a very good thing!

Just my 2 cents worth. Best of luck in your decision.