HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The Good 'Ole Days...
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 07:32 AM
DANTHEHUNTER
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Good 'Ole Days...

My first rifle was a stevens single shot .22 it was and still is the most accurate rifle I have. Then off to deer hunt armed with a 20 gauge mossbreg bolt action poly chock ,( my dad said it wouldnt hurt it and it was safe ) Killed my deer the first hour of hunting at a tender age of 11. Then off to the gun store cause I am hooked now. It was a mom and pop hardware store but they sold guns as most of you older gentlemen remember. He had a .303 spoterized for $60.00 now that was in 1974. That seemed like a million dollars to me . So that next summer I mowed 1000 yards and odd jobs as much as I could at that age but I made enough to buy it , Wow my first rifle. I told everybody about it , By the time deer season came around I had wore a groove for hand in it ,not from shooting from holding it .It was almost like a magical object. Okay so now I am alittleolder and my older brother had bought a 30-06 and he teased me about those peep sights. But I learned how to shoot them and I could shoot pretty well. So I was still out shooting him even at 150 yards.Then I traded for a mod 70 .270 win Now I was king of our deer rifles or at least I thought so.I wish I still had that rifle!!! Or even both of them. But as I jion the service I was already to shoot those peep sight, that old .303 taught me well I out shot just about everyone around me. Who would of guessed a old .303 would be worth so much ?