HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How much salt??
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 04:56 PM
FireDiver
Typical Buck

Default RE: How much salt??

I agree totally. 90% of my work is deer. I don't do fish or birds. My prices were cheap these first two years because I couldn't justify charging more given my experience.

Well, the response to my work has been awesome. Everyone so far has commented that I am doing much better than the next closest guy and they like getting their mounts back in 6 to 8 months instead of 18 months to two years. Several get their mounts back as early as February.

I plan on raising my prices to a bit to be much closer to the competition (although I don't look at them as competition) I'm just a guy enjoying a hobby and liking the extra income.

So, like you suggested, I am raising my prices and I can justify it three ways.....
#1....my quality (based on customer satisfaction)
#2....turn around time
#3....I just a hell of a nice guy

I will still be the least expensive in the area, but not by much compared to the next guy over. There are two TOP NOTCH taxidermists within 30 miles of here and I'm not up to their level....YET! I would have to raise my price a lot more to be at their level.

Add the price increase to the money I'll save by doing my own fleshing & salting.....and my profit margin will increase nicely!!!!!

I did a lot of work for "cheap" the first few years and I even provided replacement capes for next to nothing. I am established pretty good now and don't plan on too many "freebees" any more.

FYI....I did 26 deer last year and took in 57 this year. I also took in two elk, five bears and a few other furry critters. All without any advertising. I also got established with two large hunting clubs which are giving me a lot of work.

I took a big chance two years ago and so far everything is working out great. I'm just a hard working guy trying to build a new house for momma and junior
Thanks for your input,
Scott