HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ** 8-6** food plots update with Round Up Ready crops
Old 07-27-2006, 09:04 PM
farm hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: food plots update & Round Up

mlo -

I do love RR crops - I'm really thinking of RR Canola next year - if I can find it. I'd like to see RR Sunflowers and clover too - but I'm not sure we ever will.

Our May 28th planting was later than we wanted - and it was soooooo wet for the first month and my soil does not drain well. - we lost some seed as a result - some places are pretty thin. Last year - we planted about May 15th.

LAST YEAR on 7-24-05 our corn & soybeans looked like this:

But - overall I'm happy with this year's results.Without round up - and usingcultivation only - I'd not have a chance with corn this year.

Ron -

Thanks for the tip on the Soybean planting. We are going to try to over seed Rye or Winter Wheat on a plot this Sept - to see how that does. I'll let you know.

fshfly2 -

One year our Sweet Corn had really bad worms - but they were non-
existant on the "cow corn" planted right next to it. I'm not to worried about it right now. I expect the next two weeks growth will tell whether the corn plot will fill out like we hope - I have good hopes for two of the three plots -the thrid was just too wet - and probably will not make it.

bspenser -

Round up beans - were about $30.00 per 40 lb bag at my co-op - the corn was $125.00 I think for a bag. (40 lbs = 80,000 kernals per bag)

I'll post back in a couple weeks -

FH