HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rage Slip Cams...... (Updated 10/17 *Graphic Pics*)
Old 07-26-2006, 07:43 AM
Rick James
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rage Slip Cams......

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Matt,
Looking at your picture of the 3 blade......does that notch on the backside of the blades sit on the O-Ring? Is that what keeps them closed or do they have some internal system?
When they are shot open does the O-Ring flip down or do the blades simply "bounce" around it?

I do LOVE the idea of a rearward opening 1.5" broadhead.

Blade sharpness good?
Matt:

There is no internal friction type retention like spitfires, it is retained by the notch you see in the back and that band. I think the problems people are experiencing with these prematurely opening is because they aren't seating that 0 ring into the channel on the ferrule of the head properly and then making sure each blade is seated properly. It would be easy to do this wrong if someone isn't paying attention. I actually like this system better than say a friction type of retention system like the spitfires, because I believe friction types are less reliable, and use more energy to open than something like this. The blade system is almost identical to the G5 Tekan II's, I used these last year and my main hunting partner killed a nice doe with them and they worked beautifully and managed to sever the spine and sternum on the deer with a complete pass thru as well, not too shabby for a mechanical.

The 0 ring was staying in the channelupon impactwhen I was shooting it last night. I do think one would want to be careful to make sure that this 0 ring was in good condition before hunting if you have practice shots on it, I am sure it takes a beating if you put a couple dozen shots on it and probably should be replaced if you do shoot it a lot. I didn't see the snypers hands on that everyone raved about last year, I have heard they were scary sharp. These are pretty darn sharp though, sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm (I have a bald patch to prove it). The blades are real thick too.......about as thick or thicker than my slick trick blades.

The practice head doesn't open, however has the same exact profile as the closed real head......this is nice and I think should be something every top end broadhead should have as part of the package.