HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - When is it to late to plant a food plot?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Phade
Typical Buck

Default RE: When is it to late to plant a food plot?

I've had success in planting clover throughout summer, and I know several people who have done that as well. However, as RonM mentioned above, it is not ideal.

I wouldn't waste a second of thinking on clover as a perennial stand for your situation. That area could take on water, this year or next. A true Perennial clover seed (Whitetail Institute) is $20-$30 for a 1/4 acre, and is too much money to invest in an "iffy" location without soil samples.

Secret spot is okay, it is only 40% seed matter, as the remainder is inert.

My suggestion: Tecomate Ultra Forage Standside. Soil Sample would be great, let me set that first and foremost. However, without that here is what I would suggest (1/4 acre plot directions).

Go to Wal-Mart, and buy the Ortho 1-gallon tank sprayer for $9 and change. Buy the concentrated weed/grass killer (Round-up or the Wal-Mart house brand will work). Getenough concentrate for 10 gallons (house brand $7).

Buy a 30-50lb. bag of 10-10-10 fertilizer ($3-4), and one or two 40lb. bags ($4 each)of pelletized lime at Lowe's. The sprayer and concentrate is considerably cheaper at Wal-Mart than Lowe's, for your information.

Buy Tecomate's Ultra Forage Standside at Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, etc. It runs $10 for a 1/4 acre bag. Your total cost:$38 in materials.

The seed bag will tell you when to plant for fall. RIGHT NOW, I would go out to the plot area, and spray the round-up in the suggested mix ratio with water. Make sure to knick small saplings that need to go, and tougher brush, ie. scrape openings into them with a knife. Spray the area as suggested on the round-up. Spread out your lime now, or in between sprayings, generally acidic soil is common. This is where the educated guess comes in without soil samples. I'd blindly put a 40lb. bag over that 1/4 acre, but any other knowledge may tell you otherwise.

Exactly one week from RIGHT NOW, go back, hand rake, or use a leaf blower to move the leaves away. Pick up any sticks, but don't worry about big logs, just skip them. Then, re-apply the round-up (the one bottle of concentrate should handle the two applications). A second 40lb. bag of lime may be needed here at this time.

At reccommended planting date per seed bag, go out and re-rake the leaves so you have open soil. Any mixing of the soil will help (a hand tiller, etc.). If none is available,try to scar the land with the rake as best as possible. Set down the fertilizer first, then the seed. The key here as to the EXACT day you plant during the suggested planting date per the bag is the weather. Do it a day before a light, steady rain is expected. That'll drive down the seed matter naturally, and aid germination.

There in a nutshell, is the best you can do in a pinch without a soil sample.