HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Better yote round
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Jrbhunter
Fork Horn

Default RE: Better yote round

Known barrell burner? Where'd that come from?

I just retired a $400 rifle that shot over 4,000 rounds and laid down approximately 300 coyotes in five years. I've never known anyone that really placed the 250 amongst barrel burners- interesting twist on a cartridge that has been around for generations! (See 22-3000)

Folks tend to get swept away in propoganda when chosing a calling rifle. I try to keep it simple. What are the odds you are going to push 6,000-8,000 rounds through this rifle in it's lifetime much less 10 years? What are the odds of you shooting enough coyotes to justify concerning yourself with fur damage? What are the odds of the majority of your shots being 400 yards plus? Realistic approaches to these questions will put you with the right calling rig.

I prefer the 22-250 for the extra knockdown, extended trajectory range and ballistic co-efficient in wind. The 223 is cheaper to shoot and sometimes extra rounds make a guy a better marksman... if that's your style, keep flinging those cheap rounds until you can place a .223 EXACTLY where you want it. I think a guy should shoot what he is comfortable with so long as it is effective in the field, either round will be acceptable in normal calling conditions.