HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - **Updated** on 12/10 - My PA Food Plot Pics
Old 07-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Rick James
Nontypical Buck

Default **Updated** on 12/10 - My PA Food Plot Pics

So this has been quite a struggle this year to get in w/ all the rotten weather. There are 2 plots we are putting in this year. The first one that I have pics of below is a 1.2 acre plot (125 yards x 45 yards). This was a golden rod field that hasn't been cut or touched for about 15 years. We brush hogged it first in late May, then about 2 weeks sprayed it w/ a weed killer that the local feed supply place supplied us with. After spraying, we then brush hogged it off again about a month ago. We then let everything sit and really die off till this weekend. First pic is after the first brush hogging, and before spraying.

This pic is after spraying w/ the herbicide:

Then today we finished up the discing..........as can be seen below.

Tomorrow I will hit it w/ a few passes with the rake on the back of the tractor, then apply a full ton of lime to it, then rake once more and let it sit till 2nd-3rd week in August when I will spread seed and cultipack it. Plans for this is to be almost all Full Draw, which is almost entirely a broadleaf as many of you know. We grew it last year at my buddy's place in Oneonta, NY and it did well and lasted well into November, so we hope it does well here. Right now before lime, soil is testing at 5.5-6 for PH......so hopefully a ton of lime will do the trick for this year. I plan to spread another ton next spring and then plant premium perennial clover over a lot of it, and another fall seeding of a broadleaf/turnip for the other half. Let me know what you guys think..............