HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Confused about Resizing and Head Space
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 08:57 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Confused about Resizing and Head Space

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Ok so now I got it that the sizing is for the neck only.

Does the screwing it down an extra 1/4 turn apply to belted magnums? Will the belt go into the die?

Also please answer this question directly. If I pull the sizer die way up off the shell holder and resize a case will the action on the rifle close? What I'm interested in knowing is whether or not you an size a case to the point where it will not allow the action to close.

One last one, are you sure I should go a 1/4 turn closer to the shell holder, because the book says to back off 1/4 turn?

Thanks

Tom
Tom, you are right that with your press, I don't think they want you to cam over like with mine they do. Also, you want to back out with carbide dies also.

To answer your question on pulling the sizer way up, the answer is not direct. I am sorry, just the way it is. If the brass was fired in your rifle, then yes, and that depends on if your dies pulled the neck or not on its way out. If youlube the neck good it shouldn't much. Bad part about pulling the sizer way up is, you didn't size the neck possibley all the way, and now it doesn't hold your bullet well. Thats the reason the stoney point head gauge is invaluable to me. You can take a fired piece of brass from "your" rifle, and say it measures 3" from the neck to the rim. You can turn in sizer until you see start measureing 2.998". That way you know you just bumped your neck but sized your neck all the way.

If you get new brass or brass from a range fired in alot of rifles, then you have to FL size. At least the first time.

Hope it helps.