HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Add to the 2006 IB Fish Count Here!
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 07:40 PM
robow7
Typical Buck

Default RE: Add to the 2006 IB Fish Count Here!

Spent last night down at Lake Mermet, always wanted to try it and finally got a chance. The lake is not real large but it is very shallow and by this time of the year, I would say that maybe 25% is choked off by lilly pads. They extend hundreds of yards out into the water. And because of that and the very dense algae, the water is stained very green and visibilty is limited to only a few inches. If the fish weren't right on top, you couldn't see them under my lights.All I saw after a few hours of fishing were spotted gar. I'm sure there are other fish available but just not visible at this time of year. I've never seen so many spotted gar before in one location and although I can't say the quantity is there, the average fish is of very decent quality. I shot 6 with the largest going 5 3/4 lbs. I'm sure there are larger and undoubtedly a newstate record spotted gar could be had there since it presently stands at 7+ lbs. Anyway, definitely worth checking out but probably better earlier in the year before the water becomes so stained.