HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mystery to remain a mystery a little while longer.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Pglasgow
Nontypical Buck

Default Mystery to remain a mystery a little while longer.

It has rained everyday now for over a week. In a place where 10.5 " is average, that is definitely not normal. Anyway I just got back from the range (located on some nearby BLM), which was closed due to wet weather. So I didn't get to solve the mystery of why 70 grains RSand BB410 had higher velocity than 75 grains Pyro P and a Hrn. 385. I intend to switch the charges and see if its powder or bullet causing the unexpected outcome.

Also, I went back to the Springs yesterday to the "Mountain Man" shop, and picked up 3f Goex, and 3f AP powder. Also got some stuff I needed for my hawken, to include the 1075 caps and a new hot shot nipple. Was like a kid in a candy store and my wife didn't complain at all .

Yesterday, my nephew shot the Sidekick for the the first time. It was at the end of a range session where we had been plinking with a scoped .22. Just trying to get him used to firing arifle in order to get himready for 2nd Season Elk in which he drew a cow. Anyway, I only loaded 50 grains and a 270 ballet. His first shot at 25 yards was right in the bullseye but he complained about the recoil. So we had him shoot it once more not wanting it to "buck him off" so to speak. This time he said that "it wasn't bad at all", but I happened to see that his second shot was 2" off. Must have flinched. Got to talking with my brother and we decided that with a projectile twice the weightand a velocity half that of his .270, the recoil was somewhere in the neighborhood of a .270 rifle which is what he'll be shooting for 2nd season Elk.We'll let him try the ML again later. Needless to say, he was impressed with the "size of the hole" a .50 cal projectile makes!

Happy Hunting, Phil