HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - could use some arrow help
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 02:02 PM
mobow

Default RE: could use some arrow help

I'm only guessing here, but I estimate your speed to be right around 260. That's prolly a little bit low, but err on the side of caution, I say. Given that, and your arrow weight, you are producing 59 pounds of KE. Now, if you are closer to 265 fps you will have about 61 pounds. I'm no expert, but I think that's enough to kill an elk. Switching to a 125 gr. BH will decrease speed to about 257, but will increase your KE to 61#'s.

I think I would shoot the same spine arrow you are shooting now, but go to a camo arrow and jump the BH to 125. That will slow you down a bit, but the added weight should get you to around 65#'s of KE, and that certainly would be sufficient. You know, I just realized that I don't know what your DL is, but given you are shooting a 29" arrow, I'm guessing you draw 30"? If that's the case, I guessed your speed quite low. You are prolly closer to 270, which would give you 63#'s of KE. But I think you would still be better w/ an arrow weight in the 425 gr. range. Camo the arrow and heavier head.