HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Adding weight to your field points
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 03:21 AM
Jakes Cronje

Default Adding weight to your field points

Right, further to my last post, my shooting is improving. I was pushing myself too hard, and I was shooting too fast. This isn't Agincourt, so there's really no point in shooting three arrows in 30 seconds or less.

I also have a set of arrows that are too stiff- can't make them longer, so I needed heavier points. So here's what I did- I pulled the old points (heat) and cleaned out the old epoxy (lotsa heat), and recut the dodgy tapers on the shafts.

I then put 25 grains of lead (air rifle pellets in my case) in the points, stood them upright in some dry sand and heated them up with a blowtorch 'till the lead melted, then slowly quenched them- the lead stays molten longer than you'd think.

The heads now weigh 148 grains- should make a difference.

Although this method would ruin the temper on broadheads, you could smoke the inside of old field points with a candle- the soot would act as an anti-flux- cast the lead slugs, tap them out and then use them in your broadheads. And if you're really industrious you could make a swaging die and make them by the thousands to sell to people like me.

Why didn't I just buy heavier points? Because there is ONE supplier in England that carry heavier points, and I've spent enough on archery tackle this month already. (Those bows should be here any day now, Chad!) Also, I had to prove that it could be done.

Jakes