HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Merkel Drillings
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 10:32 PM
early

Default RE: Merkel Drillings

ORIGINAL: DM

Merkel has made some fine drilling in the past, but i haven't looked at one of there drillingsin a longlong time. I own or have owned Krieghoff drillings and have used several Sauers..

There's no telling whereany drillingwill shoot with slugs unless the factory has regulated the bbls. for them, it "is" an option on a Krieghoff.

The 9.3X74R is a very good round equaling the 375 H&H factory loads at reasonable ranges. Noslerhas a 286 partition bullet available and it should be excelent for anything from dangerous bears on down.

I wouldn't buy any drilling that "didn't" have a quick attach scope, and i've had several with "claw mounts". I can say all of the claw mts.have help up well for me. For the most part, i carry my scope in my pack, and snap it on as needed. I've made some pretty long shots after doing this, and i don't worry about the scope being sighteing in at all.

"If" i was spending the money for a NEW drilling i think i'd be pretty picky and make sure it would do exactly what i wanted. That means "if" it's important to you that it shoots slugs well, make sure it's regulated. Make sure you get the scope and mount you want NOW! Make sure the stock dimensions are right for you!!! How about "insert" bbls??? Now's the time to have them fitted if you want them!!

Here's a pict. of my Krieghoff drilling that's my most used hunting gun that i own!! I had the rimfire"insert" bbl. in it when i took the pict..

Drilling Man

outstanding post, and very educational.
thanks for the pic !!very nice piece.

early