HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Spreading wheat
Thread: Spreading wheat
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2002, 05:31 AM
farm hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spreading wheat

Patrick -

Sounds like you are on the right track. I do think it would be best if you disked the soil a bit if its crusted over, but wheat is a forgiving seed and will probably do OK anyhow.

A real cultipcacker is a peice of equipment that is heavy, and pulled behind a tractor. Mine is 10 ft wide, and made if 3" cast Iron rings that spin independantly on a shaft when pulled. Each ring is pointed in the middle, its similar looking to a metal culvert that goes under a road. I salvaged it from a farmer's hedgerow, its probably 100yrs old.

The center of each ring rides on the point, creating considerable force when rolled, and results in little furrows being left behind, in these furrows the seed is compressed into the ground. The little furrows also tend to collect even the slightest moisture after a light rain, putting moisture in contact with the pressed in seed.

Before I had a cultipacker - I used weighted, steel doors and pulled them behind. Seed will do better if consistant soil/seed contact is made. A log can work, but you need two chains, one at either end, connected to a yoke in the middle, then to your vehicle. It won't roll up that way.

I use the cultipacker for almost every planting I do now. Even when we planted corn this year, with a corn planter, I used it to press seed in that was not correctly covered by the planter (it was wet soil). It worked well.