HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is it possible to ruin a Bullet's BC?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 09:20 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Is it possible to ruin a Bullet's BC?

At present. Iforget which forum I read it on, but they were discussing bullet BC's and SD's. It was discussed how (as eledguello pointed out) many manufacturers over state the BC's of a projectile. This might be a marketing ploy I would guess.

I would also think something as simple as the deformation of the nose of the projectile would also effect the BC of THAT bullet in its flight path. Which is why many projectile makers suggest a special loading jag to limit the amount of damage to the projectile while loading.

In Pglasgow's concern, I think I too have observed in many of the ballistic coefficient calculators, that the numbers the manufacturer provide are not in correlation to the findings in the field. It is for that very reason, many of us on these boards continually stress the importance of not relying on the black and white print out from the charts, but instead put in the range time and learn what the projectile will do in your rifle.

How many have noticed that a certain rifle in their collection does not shoot according to the charts? Also, how many have witnessedwhat one rifle does with a load and projectile is not duplicated by a secondrifle with an identical charge.

I do find the BC calculators very interesting and they do give one an idea of what the certain load will do or how it may perform. But I never hang my hat on those charts.