HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whats your take on this past
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Bobgobble2
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats your take on this past

BT,I've always felt that each day through the course of the season is different from the last.Monotony can present empty frusterating days and cause a hunter to shorten his/her season.Through most of the season dealing with weather,hunter pressure,and the different stages of the birds themselves simply demands a change of tactics through the course of the season in being successful.The key is being able to read the bird and understand the situation and adsjusting your hunting/calling to it!Our breeding season probably because of the weather was slow in getting going this year.The adult gobblers had hens from the get go and mostly all season for that matter.The gobblers were withthe ladies but thehens were just not receptive till late in the year so consequently I dealt with alot of henned-up gobblers.Most of my clients took jakes of which we had plenty simply because they were the most vocal and receptive to a call.The longbeards we took mainly were harvested due to some good scouting in knowing where they going and setting up there before they got there.Another intresting thing that was going on this year was that we had a bumper crop of jakes this year and on a few hunts was witnessing 4 or 5 jakes gang up on alongbeard!Ive seen it before but not as much as this year.Made for some entertaining mornings but at the same timefrusterating too!All in all it was a great season and once again a great learning experience!!Cant wait till fall!!!!!!!