HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Strange Tax Laws...
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Strange Tax Laws...

ORIGINAL: mustad

Hi,

First off, let me tell you that I am a native Vermonter, which makes me American and immigrant to Canada. I am a bit confused about the sales tax situation as it pertains to out of province purchases and hoping you can help clarify this.

In the states, if we order something, say from Cabelas; we pay the applicable sales tax in accordance to the laws of the state where we live. For example, if I live in Vermont, I pay Vermont sales tax.

Here in Quebec, if I buy something, say a firearm, at a local dealer I pay both federal and QC provincial sales tax. However, if I buy this firearm from a dealer outside of QC, say AB; I only pay federal sales tax. This seems kind of strange to me, so I'm questioning it, most likely just due to where I grew up. Is this true?

Thanks,
Right now if you order mail order there isn't a sales tax charged unless you live in the state where the mail order is coming from. I live in Vt and when I order from Cabelas there isn't a tax. If I order from Gardiners Supply (in VT) there is a sales tax. I understand the various states are trying to get the mail order houses to start to charge state tax.