HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk bow hunting solo or together?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Dirt2
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk bow hunting solo or together?

I hunt solo, in part because I can't find anybody else who gets 16 days vacation in September. Solo hunting presents challenges which I have not entirely solved, to be honest. I call in lots of bulls that hang up just out of bow range or come straight in. 350, 330, 310 (x2), 290 (x3), 260. Those numbers are approximate antler scores of bulls I've called in the last 4 years that I'm sure somebody would have killed if I was a pair!

I like solo hunting, though.

Story time: My brother knows a fellow who tells this story. He took out his son and his son-in-law on a bow hunt one time. The father took the calling position in the rear with the two younger hunters positioned out ahead in the classic triangle formation. The son-in-law had never bowhunted elk before but was instructed to take his post, and SIT STILL! Well, they get into some great action, with bulls going bonkers around them. One really big bull is coming in right on top of the son, when the son-in-law gets restless and jumps up to walk over and pass the time of day. In doing so, he spooks the big bull before the son can get a shot. Some harsh words are passed, and the son-in-law storms off in a huff. He heads back to the father's position, where a second bull is coming in. The father has his bow drawn, when he sees an arrow zip through the bull he was preparing to shoot. YUP, son-in-law walks up and shoots the bull right out from under him!

They never took the in-law hunting again.