HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is quality what it used to be??
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Vapodog
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is quality what it used to be??

ORIGINAL: avid hunter

I was wondering after reading on the subject in the hunting equipment forum.
Do you think there has been an increase or decrease in gun quality and sporting goods in General.
The thread concerned On Time Feeders which I have seen drop off considerably in the past two years(and oviously I'm not the only one) . Is quality and customer service still where it used to be in the sporting goods industry and are gun companies better than other companies at keeping their products to a higher standard.
Only a very few and then of small companies ever asked me what I wanted in new products.....so they don't do their customer research very well.....

Mostly however I'd say we get what we deserve.....we buy Savages in droves because they're cheap.......we buy Handi rifles because they're cheap.....we buy at Walmart because they cost less.....and by the same token good custom rifles are higher priced than ever in my life......and by a long ways.....and the number of excellent custom smiths is increasing IMO....The quality of the hi-end stuff is out of this world.....

Your question really has no answer. The best I can say is that better quality guns are more available than ever in history.....but unbelievably expensive.......For the rest of us we can learn to do the custom work ourselves or be happy with stuff that really don't work and sit at our keyboards and say how accurate it is even though it feeds like junk.